Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Vintage Event inspiration board . . .

This is NOT my work. So as much as I would love to take the credit for this amazing photography and decor, I sadly cannot. Although, a good friend of mine is getting married in September and this is right up her alley . . . and if she is reading this, she is nodding and smiling right now so I might be photographing my own recreation of this in the coming months.


My reason behind posting this is that anyone planning a wedding, shower, engagement party or even just a "fancy smancy" dinner party NEEDS to think out of the box! Seriously people. You don't always need to go to a florist and get the same ol' roses and cali lilly bouquet. And sorry to say it, but the floating flower candles are old news. And don't even get me started on the bridesmaid dresses . . . trust me, you'll have a much happier wedding party if you just let your girls choose their own dress in the style they feel comfortable in. Matchy matchy is not matching the trends these days!

So if you ARE planning an event . . . ask someone in the event industry for help. And I don't mean hire them, unless of course you want to and have the money to do so, I just mean, if you are lucky enough to have a friend who IS in fact a photographer, caterer, etc., ask them what they have been seeing. What they like or don't like. What works well for photos and what doesn't. It will help tremendously to make your event stand out from the rest and make it an even more memorable experience. And if you HAVE in fact hired me for your wedding already, I will help you! Even though I haven't photographed 100 weddings like the photographer in my last post, I know what I'm talking about and do know a thing or two about party planning. (I know several of you will vouch for that!) So please please please do not hesitate to ask me for opinions or ideas!

And remember . . . sometimes, the best things to use for an event are things that are just lying around your house. And so you know what I am talking about, I've made a short list.

Everyday things make an event . . .

  • Old wooden ladder - use for candles or in place of the "gift table"
  • Your grandparents suitcases - different heights add depth and interest to any tablescape
  • Canning jars - use for candles, drinking glasses, silverware storage, etc.
  • Buttons - the new "old" confetti, or string them for garland
  • Hard cover books - another item to use for depth and interest
  • Firewood - stick it anywhere! Seriously, a great filler for around candles or flowers, etc.
  • Vintage ANYTHING - cameras, phones, table fans, doors, door knobs, key holes, trunks, crystal, dining plates and serving platters, the list is endless but all are wonderful!
  • Empty Picture Frames - lay them flat on table, layer them against a wall, hang them
  • Print out food labels - so simple but makes any event look classy and sophisticated
  • Branches - hang from ceiling, use in place of flowers, even just lay them across tables

No comments:

Post a Comment